Vida’s International Veterinary Training Center (IVTC) in Costa Rica offers advanced veterinary students and recent graduates an exciting opportunity to enhance their surgical and clinical skills by providing high quality, ethical and low-cost spay and neuters to local animal shelters. The IVTC aims to control overpopulation and improve the quality of life for animals that, otherwise, may not receive adequate care.
Who can participate?
Veterinary technicians and advanced veterinary students or recent graduates interested in helping animals and enhancing their skills in the field of veterinary medicine are encouraged to apply. Your unique hands-on experience will depend on your knowledge and level of education at the time of your participation; animal well-being is always our top priority. Read our participant agreement.
CPE or PSA Candidate?
Are you a foreign vet preparing for the preliminary surgical assessment (PSA) or clinical proficiency exam (CPE) or perhaps just wanting to get more training in minimally invasive spay/neuter techniques to improve your patient care? Check the dates and fill out the form below and we will design a program right for you.
During busy clinic days, participants will actively partake and assist in all clinic activities under the strict supervision of our lead veterinarian.
- You will master skills in performing physical examinations and patient surgical preparation, including pre-medication, IV catheter placement, and endotracheal intubation.
- Emphasis is placed on pain management, safe anesthetic protocols, and case discussions, empowering you to understand medical decisions and protocols.
- Participants will monitor patients during gas anesthesia and assist with spay and neuter procedures and recovery.
- Participants will also have time to explore Costa Rica’s amazing biodiversity and practice wildlife medicine (optional).
We want you to sit back and enjoy your experience. Your program fee will include one-on-one time with our experienced veterinarians and staff, all materials needed for surgical procedures, transportation to and from the airport, and most meals.
*Due to COVID-19, please make sure to review our flexible Rescheduling Policy. and also:
After checking our Sample Itineraries, Just follow these simple steps to join us:
- Please take a look at our 2021 Calendar by clicking the button below and select a session.
- Fill out the registration form below and select the Session Code according to the calendar.
- We will be in touch with you to confirm your spot.